Author Topic: Ubuntu 22.04 Install - Version Update  (Read 952 times)

rsutter

• Administrator
  • I cut the board twice and it's still too short.
    • View Profile
Ubuntu 22.04 Install - Version Update
« on: April 24, 2022, 10:50:03 AM »
Hello All,
I have been running Ubuntu 20.04 LTS on my Hp laptop.  It is dual booted with Windows 11 Professional.
Here are the details of the computer
   HP Pavilion Laptop 15-eg0xxx
   Windows 11 Pro
   2.80 gigahertz Intel 11th Gen Core i7-1165G7
   16Gb Ram

The machine is dual booted with Ubuntu 20.04 LTS running on a separate partition. 
I wanted to upgrade Ubuntu to 22.04 LTS that was released on 04/22/2022.

I downloaded the ISO file and attempted to create an installation disk on a
SANKESU USB C Flash Drive 64GB, 2 in 1 OTG USB 3.0 + Type C Memory Stick

I first tried creating an installation disk with Ventoy; https://www.ventoy.net/  That failed and bricked the flash drive.
I then switched to Balena Etcher; https://www.balena.io/etcher  … failed
Followed by Rufus; https://rufus.ie/en/  … also failed
I finally tried Universal USB Installer; https://universal-usb-installer.en.lo4d.com/windows .  That completed the process but indicated that a configuration file had not been copied.

Not to be discouraged, I inserted the flash drive in the laptop, pressed F9 so that it would allow me to boot from the flash drive and successfully began the installation.

Ubuntu 22.04 LTS was created, running in memory.  I was satisfied that it would work so I clicked on the icon to install it.

A screen appeared asking me if I wanted to replace Ubuntu 20.04 LTS with 22.04 LTS.  I said yes.
At that point, the new setup began.  I was not asked any more questions about how I wanted to configure the various partitions. 
The setup finished in short order and instructed me to remove the flash drive before rebooting the laptop.

I complied and rebooted the machine.  It booted directly into Ubuntu 2204 LTS with no option to boot into Windows 11.
After setting up some features, I shut down the computer.  This time, at reboot, I was presented with the option to boot into Windows 11 or Ubuntu 22.04.  I managed to do both without incident.

My next task is to update the content of my home directory in Ubuntu 22.04 with data that I backed up from 20.04 LTS.
While I haven’t done much with the current version of Ubuntu yet, I have been very impressed by the simplicity of the version upgrade.

Ralph Sutter
« Last Edit: April 24, 2022, 10:54:13 AM by rsutter »

rsutter

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Ubuntu 22.04 Install - Version Update
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2022, 03:12:06 PM »
In my initial setup of Ubuntu 22.04 LTS, i discovered several settings that needed to be configured before they worked properly.
I installed Simple Screen Recorder.  When I tried to play back the video that I had captured, it failed.  I reasoned that this was because it either didn't have a program capable of playing .mp4 files or hadn't been told which one to use.
I downloaded and installed VLC.  With that, Simple Screen Capture did indeed perform video screen captures and play them back.

I ran into a similar problem with Zoom.  My recording of a test session failed.  Once that I set VLC as the default player, it worked as expected.

Setting up my printers worked out-of-the-box.  Ubuntu automatically detected and installed my Brother MFC J870DW ink jet printer.  It didn't detect the Brother HL-2770DW laser automatically but set it up properly when I added it.  Ubuntu 20.04 also autodetected the MFC printer but couldn't set up the laser printer until I downloaded drivers from Brother.

I was able to set up the Home Directory files from 20.04 by simply copying them over from a backup source to the corresponding directories in 22.04.
Ralph Sutter

Alan J. Raul

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2022, 10:19:45 PM »
I took a different approach in upgrading three Ubuntu Mate 20.04.4 LTS computers to Ubuntu Mate 22.04 LTS.
At the command line I entered "sudo do-release-upgrade -d"

I upgraded another computer running Pop!_OS 21.10 to Pop!_OS 22.04.
At the command line I entered "pop-upgrade release upgrade"
« Last Edit: April 26, 2022, 10:31:51 AM by Alan J. Raul »

rsutter

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2022, 06:39:50 PM »
Today I performed an in-place update from Ubuntu 20.04 LTS to 22.04 LTS on an HP Pavilion laptop.
I did so from the Terminal with the command sudo do-release-upgrade -d, the same approach that Alan used.
I didn't do an in-place version update on the computer that I described earlier.  It contained 4 separate desktop environments.  The documentation that I read recommended that I uninstall three of them before opting for the in place version upgrade.  I didn't want to do that so the first Ubuntu 22.04 LST installation that I described was a clean install.

With my latest install installed 22.04 LTS over 20.04.
It was largely unattended but it paused several times and asked me to make choices. Once that I did so, the installation continued.  The process took about 2 hours. 

When it finished, my printers were enabled and as far as I can tell, all of the programs that I had installed in 20.04 were present in 22.04.  In some cases, the programs had been updated to the current version
Ralph Sutter