Author Topic: Printscreen has started producing a double image.  (Read 2877 times)

Doug

• View Profile
Printscreen has started producing a double image.
« on: August 22, 2020, 10:46:27 PM »
My Printscreen has started producing a double image. I assume that this was caused by the recent updates. Does anyone know anything about this? This is only occurring on my Dell computer. The HP is still OK.

How can I reset Printscreen so it only captures the actually viewed screen without adding the blank windows desktop image?

Doug
« Last Edit: August 24, 2020, 06:27:50 AM by Doug »

Alan J. Raul

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Printscreen has started producing a double image.
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2020, 12:12:57 PM »
Do you have only one monitor connected to the computer?

Does this happen on both Snip & Sketch and the Snipping Tool?

Does it make a difference using the print screen button, keystroke vs. a mouse?

Doug

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2020, 03:03:21 PM »
Hi Alan,

- There is only one monitor.

- This is happening in Snip and Sketch also (double image). I activate the snipping tool by clicking on its icon and then clicking for new.

- The Printscreen activation has been "Fn" and "Printscreen" key. The double image started on 8/22/2019. There have been a couple of updates around that time. At this time, the Printscreen seems to have stopped working. I no longer have a new printscreen image in the Screenshots folder if I activate printscreen. Perhaps they are going to a different folder?

The computer is a Dell desktop with WIN10 Pro installed. Usually, I figure things out by going to settings and making appropriate adjustments, when needed. I am a bit lost at this time trying to get a handle on what is wrong and am thinking that the updates have caused the problem.

Doug

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2020, 04:07:31 PM »
Alan,

I have finally figured something out.

On a few occasions lately, there appeared to be no cursor on my screen. I pulled it back in from off to the right. I wondered why it took so long to come out of the right edge of the screen. Somehow, presumably as a result of the recent updates, I have a second screen off to the right of the one I am viewing, and the mouse cursor was lurking over there.

So, Printscreen was doing its job OK, when I clicked to save a screen, that's what it was doing, saving BOTH of them.

So, now I get to the point of needing to eliminate the unwanted second screen to the right.

« Last Edit: August 23, 2020, 04:49:41 PM by Doug »

Doug

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2020, 04:31:16 PM »
OK. So, I found that somehow the display settings were for two screens.

So, I set Display back to one screen, and the second screen disappeared. I rebooted and then successfully saved a SNIP and Sketch image, and it only had one screen.

Now, I have to find out how to get the Printscreen key back to functioning and locate where it is sending the image files and things should be back to normal.

Thanks very much for offering to help with this, Alan.

Doug

« Last Edit: August 23, 2020, 04:50:38 PM by Doug »

Doug

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2020, 04:44:50 PM »
Somehow, in the course of my attempting to get things going again, I misdirected the saved Screenshots files to a video folder. I must have done that myself. For some reason, this was blocking Screenshots from working, so no files were saved.

Oh well, all's well that ends well..........