Author Topic: File Management Programs; Syncback and Duplicate Cleaner Pro  (Read 1638 times)

rsutter

• Administrator
  • I cut the board twice and it's still too short.
    • View Profile
Hello All,
I recently used two programs for file management.
I used Duplicate Cleaner Pro to remove duplicate files from my Photo and Video libraries.  When I attempted to copy images from my iPhone X to my Windows 10 desktop, the process failed repeatedly.  When I retried copying files, I ended up with numerous duplicates and nowhere near a complete set of images.
I was only able to copy the 30GB of images by connecting the USB cable from my iPhone to my MacBook Pro laptop.
I searched for a way to find and eliminate duplicate images on my Windows 10 desktop, trying both free and trial software before settling on Duplicate Cleaner Pro.  The trial version limited the number of duplicates that I could identify so I purchased the $29.95 program (discount coupon available).  Learn more at https://www.digitalvolcano.co.uk/dcpro.html
While there are many programs available, both free and paid, to find duplicate files, I found Duplicate Cleaner Pro to be the most comprehensive with the best designed interface.

The second program that I used is Syncback Free.  As the name indicates, this software is free for personal use.  I maintain the SLO Bytes Repository, an archive of information relating to the SLO Bytes PC Users Group, a computer club.  The archives include the SLO Bytes web site for which I am the web master.  Since I create and upload content from multiple computers, I wanted to make sure that my local backup of the web site was complete, regardless of where the content was created.
To synchronize the data between sources, I used the freeware program, Syncback Free.  Learn more at https://www.2brightsparks.com/welcome/backup/freeware.html

Ralph Sutter

Alan J. Raul

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: File Management Programs; Syncback and Duplicate Cleaner Pro
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2020, 06:35:13 AM »
FileZilla has a very easy to use file/folder comparison between what is on your computer and the what is on the SLO Bytes web host.

rsutter

• Administrator
  • I cut the board twice and it's still too short.
    • View Profile
Re: File Management Programs; Syncback and Duplicate Cleaner Pro
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2020, 07:35:06 AM »
Hi Alan,
In the case of making sure that my local copy of the SLO Bytes web site matched the on-line content, the issue wasn't how to find the differences.  It was how to make them the same.  I created virtually all of the content on the SLO Bytes web site with two computers.  I used SyncBack to compare the local version of the SLO Bytes web site on my laptop with the local version on my desktop computer. 
This gave me the latest version.
As far as I know, SyncBack can't be used to compare on-line content with local content.

Regarding the task of finding duplicate files, I wanted to clean up my Photo collection.  The issue wasn't finding the duplicate files.  It was purging them.  I had over 1000 duplicates spread over many directories.  With Duplicate Cleaner Pro (or many other similar products), I identified the duplicates and purged all but one copy with a single click.

Ralph Sutter