Author Topic: SD Card Falsely Claims to Be Write Protected - One Solution  (Read 382 times)

rsutter

• Administrator
  • I cut the board twice and it's still too short.
    • View Profile
SD Card Falsely Claims to Be Write Protected - One Solution
« on: December 11, 2023, 03:22:01 PM »
Hello All,
When I attempted to reformat an SD card, the process failed.  The drive claimed to be write protected.
Usually, when this happens, I take out the SD card and verify the position of the little tab on the left edge of the SD card.  In this case, it was not in write protect (slid to the lower position). 
To make sure, I slid it to the forward position and got the same result.
Googling the problem, I learned that sometimes covering with Scotch tape the little notch on the right edge of the card would solve the problem.  It didn't

Since I was actually using a full size SD adapter to hold a microSD, I moved the microSD to several other adapters but ran into the same problem.
Finally, I bypassed the SD Card Reader built in to my Dell Tower PC and inserted the card in a removable USB SD card reader.  That solved the problem
Using a different SD Card Reader, I was able to successfully reformat the microSD.  It worked on all the SD Card Adapters that I tested.

I decided to give the faithless Dell Tower one last opportunity to successfully reformat an SD card.  This time I inserted a full-size SD card, not a full-size SD Card Adapter carrying a microSD card.
Sadly, the build-in Dell SD Card Reader failed again.

Ralph Sutter
« Last Edit: December 11, 2023, 03:24:30 PM by rsutter »