Author Topic: APCUG Wednesday Workshop - 10/11/23  (Read 344 times)

rsutter

• Administrator
  • I cut the board twice and it's still too short.
    • View Profile
APCUG Wednesday Workshop - 10/11/23
« on: October 09, 2023, 08:22:35 AM »
Hello All,
This is a re-post of an e-mail received today from SLO Bytes' parent organization, APCUG
Ralph Sutter
----
October 11, 2023
WEDNESDAY WORKSHOP
9 am PT, 10 am MT, 11 am CT, 12 pm ET

OUR NEED TO RETHINK FRAUD IN AMERICA
A webinar by Kathy Stokes, Director
Fraud Prevention Programs, AARP

SECURING YOUR COMMUNICATIONS, EVENTS, FILES, AND ONLINE ACTIVITIES
WITH PROTON
John Kennedy, Webmaster
East Central Ohio Technology User Club (ECOTUC)

Register here – https://forms.gle/r4xc3KpnEjgxKyMRA

APCUG values your privacy. We only collect and store the personal data needed to give you the best service and will not share that information. Please read the registration form questions carefully before answering them. Be aware of autofill.
After you click Submit, you will receive a pop-up acknowledgment (see below) of your registration; you will receive the encrypted Zoom link on October 10 after registration closes at 6 p.m. Pacific Time.

Our Need to Rethink Fraud in America. The October 11 presentations had been confirmed, but you never know what will happen. On Friday, at 6:47 ET, I received this email from Chuck Bell from Consumer Reports: “I am so sorry, but believe it or not, I just got invited to attend an event at the White House at this same time.”  What a hoot to be bumped by the White House.;-) Chuck will be with us at our October 25 WW.
I attended the Fraud Watch AARP webinar on rethinking fraud in America; at APCUG’s September board meeting, I mentioned it was a video I thought all groups should use for a meeting. Since the alternates on my Cybersecurity Awareness Month contact list weren’t working at almost 5:00 Friday night my time (Chuck and I had exchanged another email and had a phone conversation). I sent John and Bill the link to the webinar video and suggested we use it for the first presentation. They agreed. I know you will enjoy it and learn a lot of interesting and important information regarding fraud victims. I recently gave my Cybercriminals are out to get us presentation, and after a statement, I remembered I should rephrase it.

Fraud has reached a crisis level in the US. Millions of victims are losing billions of dollars every year to the hands of transnational criminal enterprises. As a society, our tendency to blame the fraud victim for experiencing the crime has led to us deprioritizing it. In this webinar, AARP will discuss the nature of victim-blaming in our country and how changing this narrative could lead to a fundamental transformation in how we combat fraud.

Securing your Communications, Events, Files, and On-line Activities with Proton.  And you can too, with no cost to you. Join John Kennedy as he shares information about what everyone gets with the free versions of Proton’s family of protection software. This includes protecting your email with Mail, scheduled events with Calendar, files with Drive, Internet traffic with VPN, and all your passwords with Pass. And all for free.  You’ll also learn about upgrade options if you need additional services.