Author Topic: Using Ubuntu and Fileviewer to Create a Looping Slideshow on a "Picture Frame"  (Read 332 times)

rsutter

• Administrator
  • I cut the board twice and it's still too short.
    • View Profile
Hello All,
I took another swing at running a continuous slideshow on a small computer monitor installed on a wall and looking like a picture frame.  The monitor was mounted on an articulating VESA mount and could be moved outward to access the hollow space in the wall behind it.  Initially, I used a stand-alone Roku device that pulled images from a Synology server.  When that approach failed to run continuously, I tried something different.

I replaced the Roku device with a small computer running Ubuntu 22.04.  The computer stored my 22k plus images and ran a looping slideshow using the default Ubuntu graphics display program, FileViewer aka Eye of Gnome.
Since all of the images were stored on the computer, I no longer needed to pull them from the Synology server.

I attached a small keyboard with integrated touchpad to the computer.  Everything fit in the hollow behind the monitor.

Up and running continuously for the past two days, this seems to be the slideshow solution that I was looking for.
For more details on the setup, see https://www.fullbean.com/computer/fileviewer-slideshow.pdf

Ralph Sutter