Author Topic: Windows 11 Speaker Configuration Troubleshooting  (Read 525 times)

rsutter

• Administrator
  • I cut the board twice and it's still too short.
    • View Profile
Windows 11 Speaker Configuration Troubleshooting
« on: April 26, 2022, 06:46:30 PM »
Hello All,
For a long time, my Dell 8930 computer has had issues with sound quality.  Out of the box, the sound quality was distorted.  Rather than solve the issue, I simply installed an external USB sound card.  That solved the issue but eventually the external USB sound card failed.

Since I wasn't after studio-quality sound, I bought an inexpensive Logitech USB powered speaker pair.  That gave acceptable sound.
I later added a Blue Yeti USB microphone and paired it with a OneOdio Pro 50 headset.
The Yeti/OneOdio pair worked well.  I connected it to a USB hub and switched between it and the Logitech speakers without incident... at least for a while.

Lately, if I tried to switch between Logitech and Yeti/OneOdio, the latter didn't work.  Fiddling with Sound via Control Panel and Device Manager, I usually got everything working again.  Sometimes, the only sound source that appeared was the audio that I disabled long ago.

After much frustration, I learned from a Google Search, that I could access various sound settings directly and troubleshoot them if I simply right clicked the speaker icon found on the Windows 11 Task Bar at the far right.  Running the troubleshooter from that location fixed the issue that hadn't been solved when I drilled down at Control Panel or the Device Manager. 

Simpler is better.  For repairing sound issues, start by right clicking the Task Bar Speaker icon

Ralph Sutter