Author Topic: Free APCUG Wednesday Webinar - Invisible Apps and Passkeys  (Read 159 times)

rsutter

• Administrator
  • I cut the board twice and it's still too short.
    • View Profile
Free APCUG Wednesday Webinar - Invisible Apps and Passkeys
« on: July 08, 2024, 12:44:40 AM »
Hello All,
What follows is a re-post of a message that I received today from SLO Bytes' parent group, APCUG
Ralph Sutter

July 10, 2024
WEDNESDAY WORKSHOP
9 am PT, 10 am MT, 11 am CT, 12 pm ET

Invisible Apps
John Krout, Writer & Presenter, PATACS
and
Passkeys
Al Williams, President, Willow Valley Computer Club

Register here ? https://forms.gle/doXr7Go9rDP8ujWy9   

After you click Submit, you will receive a pop-up acknowledgment of your registration. On July 9, after registration closes at 6 pm Pacific Time, you will receive the encrypted Zoom link.

INVISIBLE APPS with John Krout. Does your smartphone or tablet heat up for no apparent reason? Invisible apps may be the cause.

We have long used the Windows and Macintosh operating systems. When you run applications on those desktops, each running app is identified by its small icons at the desktop bottom, even when none of the application windows are visible.

Android and iOS do not provide that convenience. Clear the handheld device screen of apps, and those apps continue to run unseen. Especially if you are using a smartphone for the first time, you may have dozens of invisible apps running and are unaware of that.

Join us as we delve into the presenter's experience with invisible apps on an early handheld device and his first smartphone, an iPhone 5. This journey will help you understand why and how to use a modern Apple or Android handheld device to identify and exit invisible apps.

PASSKEYS with Al Williams. Passkeys are a joint initiative of Apple, Google, and Microsoft to improve authentication. Are they the same as passwords? Are others using them? Should I use them? With this presentation, Al will discuss all this and more.