Author Topic: APCUG Workshops in August  (Read 718 times)

rsutter

• Administrator
  • I cut the board twice and it's still too short.
    • View Profile
APCUG Workshops in August
« on: August 18, 2021, 05:55:19 PM »
Hello All,
Below is a re-post of a message from SLO Bytes' parent organization, APCUG.
Read on to learn about upcoming free webinars
Ralph Sutter

August 21, 2021
Register here    https://forms.gle/Q9g1FaccjpjwNKE46

Registration closes at 11:30 pm ET on August 20.

If you already registered, please don't register again.

SESSION 1
9:00 am PT, 10:00 am MT, 11:00 am CT, 12:00 pm ET

TRACK 1

Computers to the Moon
Mark Schulman, Member, Central Florida Computer Society, an author, speaker, web designer, software designer, and technology enthusiast
Did the spacecraft have computers? What were their goals? How did we accomplish the goals and land on the moon? Mark will answer these questions and more during his presentation.

TRACK 2

Making Your Own Travel Maps with Google's My Maps
Chris and Jim Guld, Geeks on Tour

You have probably been to the Google Maps website to search for a destination. But did you know that you can use Google’s My Maps to create and save custom maps to record your travels and share them with friends and family? Your custom maps can even include your photos, links, and descriptions. You can also use My Maps to create maps for Family Genealogy, or locations of favorite things like Hot Springs, or Presidential museums. This presentation will show you how!

SESSION 2
10:00 am PT, 11:00 am MT, 12:00 pm CT, 1:00 pm ET

Track 1

Introduction to Geocaching
John Krout, Presenter & Newsletter Contributor, Potomac Area Technology and Computer Society

Learn how geocaching has become a worldwide outdoor game, the first such game based on computers and the Web. See a few of the most interesting caches found by the presenter in 45 U.S. states. Learn how to get started in your own area and how to create an anonymous account on geocaching.com.

Track 2

The State of Electric Vehicles
Michael Young – Electric Vehicle Professional

Electric vehicles are one of the hottest technology sectors in the past few years. Companies like Tesla, Nio, and Rivian are leading the charge in this space. In addition to many of the traditional automotive manufactures are selling or soon will be selling electric vehicles. This presentation will provide a summary of the latest information about the technology of the various electric vehicles that are on the market and what will be coming along in the near future.

SESSION 3
11:00 am PT, 12:00 pm MT, 1:00 pm CT, 2:00 pm ET

Track 1

Make your vacation photos look better with GIMP
Art Gresham, Editor, Under the Computer Hood User Group

Were you taking the picture and would like to be in the group photo? Easy to do with GIMP. Art will demo this and more during this presentation.

Track 2

Genealogy Road Trip: It's All About the Prep Work
Sue Mueller, Genealogy SIG Organizer, Computer Users of Erie

How to research where your family members are buried and what you should know before you go. What you should take with you to record the information you find in cemeteries. Make your list and check it twice! Social Media (Facebook) is your friend--the benefits of personal contacts before you travel.

Review and New with the Linux Team

August 25 – Register here    https://forms.gle/PqYwtFiCkh3CVD548
Registration closes at 11:30 pm ET on August 24.

This is a separate workshop not in the Learning Linux series and has a unique registration link. It is only for those new to Linux or interested in learning about Linux. And those attending our series who need to clarify and review some of what we have talked about.

The primary focus will be an open mic Q&A session where beginners can ask those questions they felt they couldn’t ask before. This will be the time for you to get the answers you need to some of those burning questions like: “What did you mean by .…?” or “Will you repeat ..…?” or “Show me again … ?” or “I still don't understand ….?” or “How do you …?” or “Can you explain ....... in a different way?"