Author Topic: Logitech Mice Don't Remember Customizations  (Read 3108 times)

rsutter

• Administrator
  • I cut the board twice and it's still too short.
    • View Profile
Logitech Mice Don't Remember Customizations
« on: January 09, 2020, 02:37:30 PM »
Hello All,
My pointing device of choice is a Logitech M570 Trackball.  Logitech software supposedly allows the user to customize certain mouse actions.  I always set mine so that when I click the scrolling button, it pastes anything on the clipboard into the document wherever the cursor is located. 
I find this very convenient.  However, after a short period of time, (minutes, hours or days depending on the whims of the Cybergods), that functionality disappears.  Sometimes, I can regain it by opening the Mouse and Keyboard setting from the search window, clicking Apply and restoring the Paste function. 
When this doesn't work, I uninstall the Logitech software and make sure that I reinstall SetPoint6.68.250_64.exe, not a later version.  I did that again today and restored the Paste option for about 10 minutes.  After that time, my trackball reverted to scrolling when I clicked the middle mouse button.

I searched Logitech's web site looking for a solution but found none.  However, I did find an independent developer who wrote his own mouse control program.  It is called XMouseButtonControl 2.18.8.  I opted for the portable version.
It supposedly works on Microsoft Windows from XP onward.  I have installed and configured it so that pressing the Scroll button pastes the clipboard content.  I also adjusted the cursor speed.  So far, I'm pleased with the free software.  I'll report back after I've used it for a while.
Learn more or download from https://www.highrez.co.uk/ (Once there, click on the link X Mouse Button Control)

Update
X Mouse Button Control continues to work well for me.  I created two tutorials related to this software
  XMouseButtonControl; enables mouse/trackball configurations that Logitech can't remember; https://www.fullbean.com/tutorials/xmouse.html and
  Video Screen Capture of XMouseButtonControl setup;  https://www.fullbean.com/tutorials/xmouse.mp4

Ralph Sutter
« Last Edit: January 17, 2020, 03:29:51 PM by rsutter »

rsutter

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Logitech Mice Don't Remember Customizations
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2020, 03:40:05 PM »
Hello All,
I have been using  XMouseButtonControl 2.18.8 for several days.  I've noticed that it allows me to paste by pressing down on the Logitech Scrolling Button as long as I don't restart the computer.
After a restart, I have to re-launch the software.
The software developer indicates that his program will automatically create an icon next to the clock on the taskbar allowing one to relaunch the program by clicking on that icon.  The icon didn't appear for me.

I created a work-around by opening the folder were I stored XMouseButtonControl 2.18.8, navigating to the folder 64 bit (x64), right clicking on the file XMouseButtonControl.exe and creating a Shortcut to it.
I then cut the shortcut from that folder, pasted it on my Desktop, dragged it to my Taskbar and then deleted the shortcut from the desktop.
That allows me to click on the taskbar icon and relaunch the program, maintaining the ability to paste by depressing the scroll wheel.

Ralph Sutter
« Last Edit: January 13, 2020, 03:42:27 PM by rsutter »

dick

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2020, 09:27:12 PM »
Interesting, but I don't remember things anymore either.  Do you have a solution for that?  :-\
dickJ

rsutter

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2020, 09:03:34 AM »
No joke.  I know that experience all too well.
I don't have a good answer for Where did I leave the last tool that I just had in my hand.
Whenever possible, I write information down.  Someone observed that the dullest pencil is sharper than the keenest mind.

With digital devices, I try to do a video screen capture of what I did to accomplish the task and then save that video on my server.
For this, I use Techsmith Snagit; www.techsmith.com/snagit
I have created numerous on-line tutorials, not so much to inform others but rather to remind me of the various steps that I took to get
the desired result.  See www.fullbean.com/tutorials/tutorials.html
Ralph Sutter

dick

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2020, 02:14:34 PM »
Aha!  Good one Ralph! ;D

rsutter

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2020, 09:13:05 AM »
Hello All,
I wanted to see if I could get XMouseButtonControl to load at Start, bypassing the need to launch it manually with every reboot. 
I found out how.  It's easy.  Opt for the normal installation, not the Portable one. 
That action loads it at Startup.  If you decide that you don't want it to run at startup, simply uncheck the box in the Startup menu
Access the Startup Menu by holding down the Ctrl and Alt keys and pressing the Delete key.
At the next screen, click on Task Manager
Click on the Startup tab, Place the cursor over X-Mouse Button Control and click the Disable button in the lower right corner.
Ralph Sutter

« Last Edit: January 15, 2020, 09:16:00 AM by rsutter »