Author Topic: email problems - anybody else got these?  (Read 1944 times)

Dave

• View Profile
email problems - anybody else got these?
« on: December 06, 2021, 09:03:07 AM »
Hello.  Dave McLaughlin here...

I have recently been adding some new emails, and I've noticed that Thunderbird's mail (used often in Windows) is now having some problems -- and the others in the chain are as well -- this chain problem may be really big:

About ten days ago I changed my main email account PASSWORD from djmc.ag@gmail.com.  The process has been altered (at least for me), with the chain of email vendors and it gets complicated right away - first they often ask for a verification password, then they send you on to others in this chain:  Amazon shows up first - (who knew), then I had to be sent to Google! 

This process has NEVER let me change my password, even though they often want to send me (often through my cellphone) a verification number to prove I'm really me.  If I do this, they go right to finding something wrong or handing it on to the next vendor to find something.

Has anyone else had this kind of problem with these guys lately?  I'm about to change to another mail carrier, hoping that it will fix the problem -- at the cost of lots of work for them and me...

All comments appreciated...

Dave McLaughlin

rsutter

• Administrator
  • I cut the board twice and it's still too short.
    • View Profile
Re: email problems - anybody else got these?
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2021, 09:16:36 AM »
Hi Dave,
I don't currently use Thunderbird.  If you decide to switch e-mail clients, you may be interested in another freeware alternative, Bluemail; https://bluemail.me/
I use it as a simple solution for accessing my Outlook Exchange account on Linux systems.
Since you can run multiple e-mail clients at the same time, try installing Bluemail without dumping Thunderbird and see if Bluemail has the same problems that you see in Thunderbird.

If you have backups of your Thunderbird profile, try importing them to your currently misbehaving installation.  I don't know what effect that might have on your password.
I found this link that explains how to export your current Thunderbird data to a new computer.
See https://www.systoolsgroup.com/how-to/move-thunderbird-local-folders-to-another-computer-solution/
Be aware that the author will try to steer you away from the first method that he outlines in favor of a paid solution.
Ralph Sutter
« Last Edit: December 10, 2021, 09:20:14 AM by rsutter »

Stanford

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2021, 12:22:36 PM »
Dave, I use Thunderbird and the only problem I encountered is them threatening me when I have more emails than they like.  Stanford
My friends and I agree that resetting a password can be tricky. More than once I have been told a known current password is not recognized and when I use the same password in the reset, I am told I can not use a previous password...grrrr.

Dave

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2021, 10:50:32 AM »
Thanks, all.  The problems seem to have gone away -- hopefully for a long time...

Dave