Author Topic: Updating to Windows 11 - My Experience  (Read 2067 times)

rsutter

• Administrator
  • I cut the board twice and it's still too short.
    • View Profile
Updating to Windows 11 - My Experience
« on: November 02, 2021, 12:34:40 PM »
Hello All,
Today, I updated three of my computers to Windows 11 when that option was offered through Windows Update.  I had previously updated another computer; same scenario.
All of the updates installed without incident.  However, in all cases, more Windows 11 updates appeared after the installation.  The second updates also installed without a hitch.
Below, I have listed my computers that are now updated to Windows 11. 

Dell 8930:  Windows 11 Pro Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8700 CPU @ 3.20GHz 32Gb RAM

Lenovo X1 Yoga: Windows 11 Pro Intel i7 8650U 1.90Ghz 16Gb RAM

HP Pavilion Laptop 15-eg0xxx: Windows 11 Home Intel 11th Gen Core i7-1165G7 2.80 gigahertz 16Gb RAM

Intel NUC: Windows 11 Pro Intel i5 8259U CPU @ 2.30GHz 16Gb RAM

Ralph Sutter

rsutter

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Updating to Windows 11 - My Experience
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2021, 06:23:51 PM »
I did encounter one glitch.  I cannot confirm that it was caused by the upgrade to Windows 11
I subscribe to Office 365.  Today, I couldn't connect one computer to my Outlook Exchange account.
A flashing box appeared on the screen when I attempted to launch Outlook.  A message appeared at the bottom of the screen that read "Need Password"
but I was given no opportunity to enter it.  Curiously, Bluemail worked fine on that computer.  Outlook worked fine on all computers but the one in question
I uninstalled Office 365 from the problem computer and then reinstalled it.  The problem continued through several restarts.  On the third restart, Outlook asked me to authenticate by responding on my phone.
Once that I did that and restarted the computer one more time, Outlook functioned normally.
Once again, I can't tie this bad behavior to the Windows 11 update.
Ralph Sutter

Stanford

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2021, 04:56:37 PM »
My photos are too big and I have to adjust them using the +- keys

rsutter

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2021, 06:21:42 PM »
Acronis Disk Director 12.5 does not support Windows 11
Read more at https://kb.acronis.com/content/69259
Ralph Sutter

rsutter

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2021, 04:06:22 PM »
Hello All,
Yesterday, I migrated my operating system to a larger NVMe drive.
Everything has worked well under Windows 11 with the exception of Outlook 365.  The problem of a flashing screen when I attempted to launch Outlook returned.
I unpowered the computer, uninstalled and reinstalled Office 365, tried numerous Microsoft repair solutions and muttered Redmond backwards, all to no avail.
Mail and Bluemail, two alternative e-mail clients, worked properly.
After grasping for solutions for an hour, Outlook launched properly.  I wish that I could reveal what I did or didn't do to make this happen.  I can't
Ralph Sutter

rsutter

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2021, 08:05:54 AM »
Update on 11/23/2021
Last night, I successfully backed up various files on my Linux Ubuntu server using Acroniss True Image 2021.
Today when I began using the computer, the cursor flashed and boxes opened and closed as I moved the cursor over the open desktop.  Though I highlighted various icons, clicking on them had no effect.  I restarted the computer several times but the odd behaviour continued.
After about one half hour, the system began operating normally and I was able to install the latest Windows Update, 2021-11 Cumulative Update for Windows 11 x-64 based Systems(KB5007262)
Ralph Sutter