Author Topic: Mail Programs for Windows  (Read 989 times)

Dave

• View Profile
Mail Programs for Windows
« on: June 07, 2021, 12:18:10 PM »
Hi, guys and gals...

My wife and I have used the Thunderbird email program for many years and have been happy with it -- until recently.

A while back she lost many items -- all in the "Local Folders" section which, it turns out, is NOT backed up in any way like our Gmail mail is.  In other words, if your computer crashes you have no recourse for getting those great notes you've received and saved over the years -- unless you religiously copied them all somewhere else.

Anyway, as she adds new additions to her "new" Local Folders folder we've begun wondering if there is a better email program for Windows.  We've heard of "Microsoft Mail" and wonder if anyone has tried it yet, and how it's going. 

Also, we'd be interested in other local mail programs for Windows if you've tried and liked them.  Thanks for helping, if you can...

Dave McLaughlin

Alan J. Raul

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Mail Programs for Windows
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2021, 10:13:13 AM »
At the Sunday SLO Bytes meeting you said you have Microsoft 365. If you have the “Family Plan” I would suggest that you install Outlook 365 (which is one of the many programs that come with that subscription) on both your and your wife’s computer.

I can highly recommend Microsoft Outlook 365. I have been using Outlook since the first version which came out in 1997. It is a very sophisticated PIM (Personal Information Manager). Do not be scared off by the word “sophisticated” as it is still quite easy to setup, configure and use. You and I will never begin to use all the features of this great program. One of the nice parts about Outlook 365 is backup. You backup a single file and everything (e-mail, folders, address book, etc.) is backed up.

rsutter

• Administrator
  • I cut the board twice and it's still too short.
    • View Profile
Re: Mail Programs for Windows
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2021, 01:20:53 PM »
Hello Dave,
Here's a timely link to Leo Notenboom's explanation of how to back up e-mail programs such as Thunderbird
https://askleo.com/back-up-my-email/
Ralph Sutter