Author Topic: Automatic download of program updates  (Read 1476 times)

dick

Automatic download of program updates
« on: August 03, 2020, 12:27:23 PM »
Apparently part of the new Win 10 V2004, I got an automatic download and install of a new Defender Virus Definition and a KB4562899 Preview for NET Framework 3.5.4.8. My desktop then froze.  I had to do a Cold Shutdown to get back on.
Alan, this appears to be something I agreed to when I installed V2004.  How can I shut it Off again?
dickJ
« Last Edit: August 03, 2020, 12:30:03 PM by dickJ »

dick

Re: Automatic download of program updates
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2020, 12:44:36 PM »
It looks like it may be Updates, Advanced Options.
I  certainly do not want this interrupting my computing, but I do want to know the Updates exist and give me a choice of If and When to do them.  I certainly am not happy with it freezing my machine and requiring a Cold Shutdown and restart to get operating again.  I sure wish I had your suggestion from yesterdays ZOOM session about maybe saying NO to these new options.
Does anyone know where I could find this list of Choices so I can go change them back?
dickJ

Doug

• View Profile
Re: Automatic download of program updates
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2020, 06:01:53 PM »
Dick,

Perhaps you might consider Settings>Update & Security>Recovery>Go back to the previous version of Windows 10. That might undo the complications (hopefully). There is also the Troubleshooting option to consider.

To stop the updates from automatically installing:  https://www.guidingtech.com/48828/delay-disable-mandatory-updates-windows-10/

This option is for Windows Pro only. Access the Local Group Policy Editor. Go to Configure Automatic Updates. Select: Notify for downloads and notify for install.  You can also restrict installs to a specific day and time, so it won't interfere with your computing.

To access the Local Group Policy Editor: https://www.isunshare.com/windows-10/5-ways-to-access-local-group-policy-editor-on-windows-10.html

I have yet to upgrade my HP desktop to WIN10 Pro, so I am only guessing as to the effectiveness and reliability of the above. It looks as if it should work.

Doug