Author Topic: APCUG On-line Workshops via Zoom  (Read 1343 times)

rsutter

• Administrator
  • I cut the board twice and it's still too short.
    • View Profile
APCUG On-line Workshops via Zoom
« on: May 10, 2020, 11:12:34 AM »
Hello All,
What follows is a re-post of an e-mail that I received from Judy Taylour of SLO Bytes' parent organization, APCUG
Ralph Sutter

APCUG is pleased to announce that we will be having online workshops during the summer and fall.

Getting to Know Windows from An Insiders Point of View

The second Wednesday of the month at:
9 am PT

May 13, 2020
June 10, 2020
July 8, 2020
August 12, 2020

Moderator: Bill James, APCUG Advisor, Region 8

The four 2-hour workshops will be on how to get the best out of Windows 10. There will be how-tos, hands-on demos, and discussion with ample time for Q&A.

Week 1
What’s new with Windows 10, the 2004 Spring feature update.
Have you customized your Start menu, Taskbar, and Notifications? What are those  Hidden Icons? How can I immediately get back to my Desktop? Can you easily see your mouse pointer? How about the Display text size? We’ll also take a look at the powerful Search options.

Week 2
Settings
We’ll explore the many options you can change to make your computer more secure. Do you know how much Ram you have? What version of Windows? What about the Security & Update area, do you take a look at every once in a while?
Do you check your custom settings after the spring and fall Feature update?

Week 3
File Explorer
Back-in-the-day, Bill Gates told us to think of our hard drive as a file cabinet and to organize our files. File Explorer is our handy file cabinet. We’ll dig into File Explorer to see how it can help us with our daily life with our computer. Have you added the helpful checkbox?

Week 4
Edge
It’s now a Chromium-based browser. It brings a lot of new features to the table. We will explore all of them and find out if it is the best browser. We’ll also learn how to earn $$ by using Bing.

We will use the same Zoom password encrypted meeting URL for each workshop. You will receive the URL after you have registered by completing this form - https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSehQt_aRFj8YItG4tWFPVSzv4byHbcFRIqTtF8ssX_vuoFu3Q/viewform?vc=0&c=0&w=1

Judy will be the contact point for these workshops and will be available to assist you in connecting to the Zoom sessions.

The registration list will be used to identify everyone in the Waiting Room before being admitted to the session.

The next series of workshops will be on Home Automation for Seniors – same time, same place on:
September 9, 2020
October 14, 2020
November 11, 2020
December 9, 2020     

Week 1 - Why do I need it?
Week 2 - Where do I start?
Week 3 - Lights, doorbells, locks, and cameras
Week 4 - Doing It Myself vs Having It Done

We will begin by explaining why home automation is important to Seniors. What products are on the market, costs, security, and some real-world testimonials. In the second week, we will talk about how to go about planning your home automation project and best practices. In the third week, we will talk about applications using lights, doorbells, locks, and cameras. Lastly, we will talk about the benefits of making it a DIY project or having a professional install.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2020, 11:16:09 AM by rsutter »