Author Topic: APCUG Webcom on 8/17/19 10:00-1:00 pm PT  (Read 1638 times)

rsutter

• Administrator
  • I cut the board twice and it's still too short.
    • View Profile
APCUG Webcom on 8/17/19 10:00-1:00 pm PT
« on: August 03, 2019, 06:56:34 AM »
Hello All,
This is a re-posting of a message that I received regarding the webcom offered by SLO Bytes' parent organization, APCUG, announcing the upcoming event.

Ralph Sutter

-----repost follows below----

VIRTUAL TECHNOLOGY CONFERENCE (VTC)
Saturday, August 17
1:00 pm – 4:00 pm ET -- 12:00 – 3:00 CT
11:00 – 2:00 MT -- 10:00 – 1:00 PT
WEBSITE ROUNDTABLE
4:15 pm - 3:15 pm - 2:15 pm - 1:15 pm

APCUG's Virtual Technology Conferences are FREE!

Registration closes @ 11:59 PM ET on August 16
•   Attend using your computer, tablet or phone with the Zoom.us app.
•   Download the app for the device you will be using at:
https://zoom.us/download
•   Sessions are 50 minutes with time for Q&A
•   Register once via Eventbrite
•   You do not need an Eventbrite account to attend the conference
You do not need a Zoom account to attend the VTC
•   Before the event, you will receive an email with directions and links for attending both conference tracks, as well as the Let's Talk ROUND TABLE.
•   Day of conference, after connecting via Zoom, it is very helpful if you sign into each presentation you attend via the Chat Box; first and last name you used to register at Eventbrite.
•   Why? If all of the questions aren’t answered during the session, the rest of the answers will be sent to you. Or, there might be a handout.
Register at Eventbrite
 More information at:  https://www.apcug2.org

Questions: Contact virtualconferences@apcug.org

TRACK 1
1:00 PM ET
Driving with Google Maps
Ron Brown, Program Director, Silvercom Computer & Technology Club, Arizona

This presentation explains the differences between Google Maps and Garmin-TomTom devices. Ron discusses how it works through your phone and placement options in your vehicle. He outlines the difference between the "Off-Line" and "Connected Version" as well as all the settings and options.

2:00 PM ET
The Installation, Care and Feeding of a Mesh Router
Greg Skalka, President, Under the Computer Hood User Group, California

Wi-Fi has become essential for supporting our hand-held devices, smart speakers, voice operated assistants and other smart home devices, but getting good signal coverage throughout your home with a single Wi-Fi-enabled router can be difficult. A popular option to provide whole-house Wi-Fi is a mesh network. Greg will discuss mesh network issues and benefits and how to install and use a Netgear Orbi system.

3:00 PM ET
OPEN - Your presentation could be here!

TRACK 2
1:00 PM ET
How I fired my cable company and still enjoy TV, Internet and a home phone
Stew Bottorf, Chromebook and Cut Cable SIG Leader
Tampa Bay Technology Center, Florida

Last May, I had an overflow “Cut Cable” meeting emphasizing antennas and purchasing streaming packages. I was encouraged to go-further by one club member who was well ahead of me. In September I again packed our meeting hall with several new cutting ideas. I began bi-weekly SIG meetings helping members side-load apps on Amazon Firesticks. Unfortunately, this solution did not save big dollars and definitely did not fly in my home. Several revelations later, helped by my SIG participants, I was finally able to fire the cable company, saving $1200 / year while adding additional TV channels and maintaining my Internet and Google home phone connections. Along my cutting journey I’ve discovered a real opportunity for local non-profit computer clubs to add a potentially rich new income source.

2:00 PM ET
The most common issues that need repair from a PC/Mac repair shop perspective
Dan Douglas, President, Space Coast PCUG, Florida

Dan Douglas, owner of DataDan Computer Services will share his experiences of repairing and dealing with frustrated users based on his case studies of actual 'daily walk through the door' issues. The top ten issues and their solutions will be discussed.

3:00 PM ET
Going Paperless
Pierre Darmon, President, Westchester PCUG, New York

Learn to be green and save the environment! This presentation covers the concept of going paperless, the advantages and the drawbacks. Pierre has been doing so since 2007. You will learn how you can reduce the paper clutter, download your statements and organize them, and protect them from disaster.

This applies to your bank statements, preferred airline miles or internet service provider bill, and then some. And what to do with all that paper?

4:00 PM ET
Let's Talk ROUND TABLE DISCUSSION

Do you have a problem you need help with? Ask the question and you will receive an answer or two or three... Have you had some new presentations? Share them with the RT attendees. Plus, whatever the attendees want to discuss.

« Last Edit: August 03, 2019, 07:02:32 AM by rsutter »