Author Topic: Win 10 Fall Creators Update Changed Network Connections to Public  (Read 5344 times)

Larry

• View Profile
I recently installed Windows 10 Fall Creators Update on all 3 of my computers (1 desktop and 2 laptops).  On 2 of the 3 computers I found that my network connection had been changed from private to public.  The public connection prohibits my syncing files on that machine with files on other machines.  I have tried to follow several instructions on the internet but all of these instructions ended with a screen that did not appear on my computers.  I have tried to delete and forget the network connection but the new connection also come up as a public one.  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Larry Green

rsutter

• Administrator
  • I cut the board twice and it's still too short.
    • View Profile
Re: Win 10 Fall Creators Update Changed Network Connections to Public
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2017, 09:05:45 AM »
Hi Larry,

Here's how I accessed the network configuration allowing me to change from public to private or vice versa.
http://www.fullbean.com/tutorials/public-private.mp4
Hopefully, you have the same experience.

Ralph Sutter

Alan J. Raul

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2017, 11:20:45 AM »
Ralph did a great job on the video.

I used the Microsoft Steps Recorder to do the same thing but displayed in a different fashion.

Larry

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2017, 12:16:11 PM »
Ralph,

Thanks for the great video.  My problem is that after I click on "Change connection properties" I get a different page than you showed in your video. 
The page that I get has a section about Metered Connections and a section labeled Properties which shows the properties of the NIC.  I have searched the internet and found a couple of suggestions similar to yours, all showing a page that I don't have.  It looks like I will have to talk to Microsoft.

Larry

dick

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2017, 03:57:29 PM »
I guess I don't really understand the Public versus the Private settings for one's Network.  For example, my computer is set for Public, which it states it can't be used for printer and file sharing.  Yet I am able to use my printer on both of my Windows 10 machines, and via AirPrint on my Apple iPad. Also, I can share my Roboform logins on my main Windows machine with my other Windows machine.
Can someone find a nice simple explanation?  Thanks!
dickJ
« Last Edit: October 30, 2017, 03:59:11 PM by dickJ »