Author Topic: Suggestions for a free Windows 10 photoviewer? UD 2-25-18 (WIN10 Viewer back).  (Read 3304 times)

Doug

• View Profile
The latest "upgrade" for Windows 10 does not offer a basic photo viewer as has been the case up to this point. >>>> (As of 2-24-18, the Windows 10 photo viewer has been restored by a subsequent update.) Does anyone feel that they know of a worthy free photo viewer program to install in the new Windows 10?
« Last Edit: February 25, 2018, 08:24:28 PM by Doug »

rsutter

• Administrator
  • I cut the board twice and it's still too short.
    • View Profile
Re: Any suggestions for a free Windows 10 photoviewer?
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2018, 08:18:33 AM »
Hi Doug,
You may already be familiar with the program, Irfanview.  That's the photo viewer that I use.
It's free, fast and opens many different file formats.  You can expand its capabilities even further by downloading the corresponding plugin.
One thoughtful feature; During the install, if you choose to have Irfanview be the default program for everything that it can open, it asks "Really?", giving you another chance to reconsider your choices.
See www.irfanview.com.
In downloading the program, read carefully before clicking.  Numerous sites offer Irfanview.  Some of them try to entice/trick you into downloading additional software by tempting you with large buttons that don't link to the Irfanview download.
Ralph Sutter

Doug

• View Profile
Re: Any suggestions for a free Windows 10 photoviewer?
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2018, 08:22:10 PM »
Hi Ralph,

Thanks for the suggestion about Irfanview. Yes, I have had it installed before but found in earlier times that I needed to unload extra programs to make space. Today, I have 16 and 32 Gigabytes of RAM and large drives, so Irfanview is entirely suitable. I installed it from its website and there were no problems (foistware free). It works very well for viewing with some extra features available. I decided to download both the 64 and 32 bit versions.

I still use Ulead's PhotoImpact 8 for tweaking pictures and Panorama Maker 4 for creating panoramas.

Thanks again for your good advice.

Doug