Author Topic: How I Successfully Updated my Computer to Windows 10 Fall Creators Update  (Read 2855 times)

rsutter

• Administrator
  • I cut the board twice and it's still too short.
    • View Profile
Hello All,

I am running Windows 10 Version 10.0.16299 Build 16299 (aka Fall Creators Update) on all my Windows computers.
Doing so was particularly challenging for my HP ProBook 640 G1 laptop.  I purchased the machine from WOOT several months ago.
It is a refurbished unit that came with Windows 10 Pro installed.

I created an additional partition on the solid state hard drive and installed Ubuntu 17.10 in that partition.
When I turn on the machine, it gives me the option of booting into Windows (the default) or Ubuntu.
Initially, I was able to update/upgrade Windows 10 normally.  However, the computer repeatedly failed
to update beyond version 1607 (Anniversary Update) despite reassurances from the update dialogue that
my computer was capable of being upgraded.  Updates failed with a cryptic message that I had to restart my computer
to complete the update.  No amount of restarting or whispering Redmond backwards got behind that obstacle.

When all else failed, I told the computer to Reset This PC, opting to keep the data files that I had created but removing all of the programs that I had installed.
Learn how to do that at https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/12415/windows-10-recovery-options

It was a several step process.  First I had to update the computer to the latest version of the original operating system.  When that succeeded, I kept updating until I finally ended
up with the Windows 10 Fall Creators Update.

Ralph Sutter