Author Topic: PIA Blocks Internet Access - Solved  (Read 2407 times)

rsutter

• Administrator
  • I cut the board twice and it's still too short.
    • View Profile
PIA Blocks Internet Access - Solved
« on: August 24, 2018, 09:18:00 AM »
Hello All,
My desktop computer is a Dell XPS 8930 running the current version of Windows 10.
I run PIA, a competent VPN on the machine.  For the past two days, all attempts to connect to the Internet from a browser fail but my mail client, Outlook 365, works.
This happens whether I go online with an Ethernet connection or WiFi.  If I disconnect PIA, the browsers (current 64 bit versions of Chrome, Firefox and Edge), work properly.  I have tried changing the PIA servers from Auto to a variety of other locations with no improvement.
I run the same PIA settings on a Lenovo Yoga X1 running current Windows 10 as well as a MacBook Pro and an HP desktop running Ubuntu 18.04.  They all work properly with PIA enabled and connected.

I finally resolved the problem by following the instructions provided by PIA at https://www.privateinternetaccess.com/helpdesk/kb/articles/why-is-the-vpn-connection-not-working-or-slow-with-the-pia-app

In my case, the answer was Change Connection Type from  UDP to TCP.  I can't explain why this change became necessary but making it restored the ability of my browsers to go online.
Ralph Sutter
« Last Edit: August 24, 2018, 09:20:17 AM by rsutter »