Author Topic: Missing IE Favorites  (Read 4403 times)

dick

Missing IE Favorites
« on: December 12, 2018, 12:29:44 AM »
I noticed that some of my IE Favorites seemed to be missing, but it was accepting new ones.  Then those disappeared, so even though the various area titles are still there, the file is empty (no addresses).  Apparently this is a common problem in Windows 10 now.
I started researching solutions, but was not having much luck. I tried System Restore, but discovered all areas are OFF, so no System Restore help.
I went to Google and tried their Favorites system but it only had a few entries. But I noticed I could add my IE ones, so I clicked the button and much to my surprise, most of my IE Favorites appeared!  So they are in the computer somewhere, but how do I find them and get them back in IE?
Also, I can't seem to remember what I click in Google's to get their Favorites again.  Can anyone remind me what I click there?
Thanks for your help.
DickJ

rsutter

• Administrator
  • I cut the board twice and it's still too short.
    • View Profile
Re: Missing IE Favorites
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2018, 09:13:58 AM »
Hi Dick,
Reading the information at https://www.chromestory.com/2011/01/where-are-my-favorites-in-google-chrome/
one learns that what IE calls Favorites are known as Bookmarks in Google Chrome.
I hope that this helps
Ralph Sutter

dick

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2018, 01:37:49 PM »
Ralph,
Thank you for the reply.  Yes I was aware of the name difference.  I had added the Google bar to my IE opening page, so I could at least use many of the missing IE Favorites by clicking Google's Bookmarks.  However, that still leaves my IE Favorites site with just the titles and not any addresses.  Also, there are many more Favorites titles than Google Bookmarks.  And if I try adding new entries, they soon disappear. I have found some discussions of this problem online and some are saying it is Microsoft updates that are causing it...like the disappearing pictures in the last attempted feature update.
In any case, my IE Favorites are not working.  If anyone can find a discussion of the problem with a solution that works, I would appreciate it if you would post it. Thanks again Ralph for your post.

dick

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2018, 04:05:25 PM »
I have now found a couple of methods to try to solve my missing Favorites problem, but I'm going to put it off for a couple of days to see if the new ones I have entered also go away and maybe what is doing it. Also, they do involve a Registry fix and I'm not up to that today!

dick

« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2018, 08:57:55 PM »
Still trying to solve this.  I enter a new Favorites address and it stays a while, then disappears.  I am now experimenting to see if I am removing it, perhaps when I do a site cleanup prior to doing a Backup, or maybe with a Registry cleanup with CCleaner?   
Happy Holidays all!

rsutter

• Administrator
  • I cut the board twice and it's still too short.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2018, 09:26:19 AM »
Hi Dick,
Have you tried copying your IE Favorites to a new location?
Here's what I did.
Open IE
Click on Star (Favorites Bar)
Right Click on the Favorites Bar
Left Click on Copy
Paste the copied material to a folder that you create

I'm not sure if this new list will automatically update itself when the original IE Favorites self-destruct.
If so, this method won't work.
Still, it's worth a try.

Ralph Sutter

dick

« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2018, 10:29:42 AM »
Ralph,
Thanks for the idea.  I'll try it. I put the C/Users/Richard/Favorites file on the desktop. Unfortunately its only the current version, though.  There is an older version somewhere.  Maybe I can find it Acronis Backup?
This morning I tried adding some favs (also yesterday), then running CCleaner....Favs still there, then running C/properties/cleanup, and /tools/error checking.  Neither got rid of them.
 I will also check again after installing the next Windows patches in two weeks.  If anyone has any other ideas to try, please post. If I can just find out what is doing this, a solution should be possible. Happy Holidays!
« Last Edit: December 28, 2018, 10:55:24 AM by dickJ »

dick

« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2019, 04:14:30 PM »
I found a few of the missing Favorites down at the bottom of the list, but only a few.  Hoped that the install of V. 1809 would fix this, but so far no. Still having the problem.
dickJ

dick

« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2019, 09:40:13 PM »
Several Favorites gone again.  Then I noticed that my Recycle Bin icon showed entries and out of curiosity I looked to see what was there. Surprise, several of my recent Favorites! I didn't purposefully put them there!
Am I the one who has been deleting these? They were deleted after lunch today. How?

One of these days I still hope to solve this. :o
« Last Edit: January 21, 2019, 09:55:22 PM by dickJ »