Recent Posts

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10
General Discussion / APCUG Photo Contest - Members Only Competition
« Last post by rsutter on July 17, 2023, 08:42:18 AM »
Hello All,
This is a re-post of an e-mail received from Bill James of SLO Bytes' parent group, APCUG.
Ralph Sutter

2023 Digital Photo Contest
**The contest is only open to members of an APCUG group**

APCUG is pleased to announce its 2023 Photo Contest showcasing the talents of its member group photographers!

Contest Rules
The contest begins on August 1 and ends on September 16. Entries not received via email on or before September 16 will be disqualified.
•   One personally taken photo per member may be entered in each of the four categories
•   Submit one photo, not to exceed 4MB, via email in .jpg format
•   Entry emails must only include this information: Category and name of the photo, Your name and email address, Name of your group, and Name of the group’s president and email address (see below instructions)
•   Each entry will receive an acknowledgment email
•   Cropped photos are allowed
•   Minor adjustments, including sharpening, contrast, and slight color adjustment, are allowed
•   Please do not submit AI-created or modified photos
•   Borders, frames, text, and signatures are not allowed.
•   1st, 2nd, and 3rd place winners in each category will receive the appropriate certificate and prize.
Categories
Holidays
Photos that make you smile
Spring Flowers (Outdoors)
Still Life Food photos

Judging Criteria
•   Composition
•   Technical Skill
•   Visual Impact
Email your .jpg entries to digitalphotocontest AT apcug.org. Please send one email per photo.

Subject: Category Name – Your name
**Please put only the following information in the body of each email (one photo per email) = 4 lines of text:
•   Category and name of the photo
•   Your name and email address
•   Name of your group
•   Name of the group’s president and email address
**Please save your photos using the following format:
category_lastnamefirstname_ picture name

For example:
Spring_Flowers_smithbob_Lancaster_Poppies.jpg

**Entries received without the complete information as noted above will be returned.

You retain ownership and all rights to your photograph; however, by entering the contest, entrants grant APCUG royalty-free permission to publish submitted photos on the organization’s website and Reports newsletter. Any photograph reproduced will include a photographer credit as feasible.

Question: digitalphotocontest@apcug.org

Bill James, Chair
General Discussion / APCUG Free Linux Webinar July 19, 2023
« Last post by rsutter on July 17, 2023, 08:36:35 AM »
Hello All,
This is a re-post of an e-mail that I received today from Judy Taylour of SLO Bytes' parent organization, APCUG.
Ralph Sutter

JULY 19, 2023
WEDNESDAY WORKSHOP
9 am PT, 10 am MT, 11 am CT, 12 pm ET

Learning Linux
Taming the Terminal, Chapter 5 – Orv Beach
Software of the Month – Drew King
Question of the Month – John Kennedy

Register here – https://forms.gle/TnqQ9GUsnB7uY1YC9
APCUG values your privacy. We only collect and store the personal data needed to give you the best service and will not share that information. Please read the registration form questions carefully before answering them. After you click Submit, you will receive a pop-up acknowledgment (see below) of your registration; you will receive the encrypted Zoom link on July 18, after registration closes at 6 pm Pacific Time.

This month's workshop will start with Orv Beach and a Taming the Terminal session—Chapter 5. We're nearing the end of the Basic introduction and want to know where you want Orv to go from here (he has some ideas, but we'd like to hear yours).

Our "Software of the Month" section will be our "keynote" presentation on KDEConnect by Drew King. This software lets you connect your Smartphone to your Linux computer and do all sorts of things on your phone FROM the computer.

John Kennedy will be handling the "Question of the Month": What are the differences between two flavors of the same distro with different desktop environments? He will try and point out what differs between Mint-MATE and Mint-Xfce.

Before we go to our "Open Mic, Questions, Answers and Discussions," John will be sharing a new to him distro that has a very unique installation program (a lot different than we've seen in the installations we've done). Then we might take a short trip around the OS (depending on time) to see a few other unique takes on the desktop (it has a very modern look that might be too modern even for him).

General Discussion / PC security
« Last post by Stanford on July 13, 2023, 04:43:59 PM »
Secure you PC. Article from Readers Digest
Nice demo. 
Hello All,
I created a short video showing how I used the freeware program, Irfanview, to create a script for batch processing of images.
With batch processing, I was able to quickly select multiple large format color images and change them automatically to black and white. 
Using additional settings, I also automatically resized them to 1800 pixels on the long side, reduced the dots per inch to 72 and added a border around each image.
View the video on YouTube at https://youtu.be/ZQEFnJhFKF4
Download Irfanview from https://www.irfanview.com
Ralph Sutter
General Discussion / Notes from the Photo Group Meeting of 07/09/2023
« Last post by rsutter on July 09, 2023, 05:00:12 PM »
Hello All,
Here are my Notes from the SLO Bytes Photo Group Meeting of 07/09/2023

TOPIC: Black and White Photography

Ralph Sutter opened the meeting with candid images of BBQ attendees converted to black and white using Skylum Neo, saved at 72 dpi for quicker display while using Zoom

Alan Raul shot images around the Central Coast of boats, structures and landscapes, using his new Sony 28mm F2.0 lens. All the images were modified using Camera Raw in Photoshop. In Alan's absence, Ralph showed his pictures for him.

John Waller used several different methods within Adobe Photoshop to transform photos from color to black and white. He adjusted the saturation level of the R, G and Y channels. He also explored the effects that can be created via software filters inside Photoshop, embossing both still and video images

Stanford Brown shared photos of his one year trip as a young man that took him from Argentina to Japan, Cambodia, Thailand, Pakistan, Vietnam, India and Nepal. He focused on the sites seen and the people that he met as a young man.

The next meeting will take place on August 13th, 2023, beginning at 2:00 pm via Zoom The topic will be Celebrations

The meeting schedule for the remainder of 2023 is as follows
  September 10
  October 8
  November 12
  December 10

See the Links Page;  https://www.slobytes.org/digital/links.html for tutorials and other resources

Ralph Sutter
General Discussion / Free APCUG Wednesday Webinar - July 12, 2023
« Last post by rsutter on July 09, 2023, 03:58:51 PM »
Hello All,
What follows is my re-post of an announcement from Judy Taylour, APCUG Representative for SLO Bytes parent organization.
Ralph Sutter

JULY 12, 2023
WEDNESDAY WORKSHOP
9 am PT, 10 am MT, 11 am CT, 12 pm ET

Technology Always Seems To Be Changing The Way We Listen to Music at Home and In The Car
Ray Baxter, President & Treasurer, APCUG

AirTags and Tiles
John Krout, Member, Presenter, Writer
Potomac Area Technology And Computer Society

Register here – https://forms.gle/m3CmGtc4MVYbdgjb9

APCUG values your privacy. We only collect and store the personal data needed to give you the best service and will not share that information. Please read the registration form questions carefully before answering them. After you click Submit, you will receive a pop-up acknowledgment (see below) of your registration; you will receive the encrypted Zoom link on July 11, after registration closes at 6 pm Pacific Time.

Technology Always Seems To Be Changing The Way We Listen to Music at Home and In The Car.  In my opinion, the way we listen to our favorite tunes at home and in our cars has probably seen the most changes. I'll review how we've listened to the music we choose in our homes, starting with the 78-rpm record and all the devices in between, bringing us up to date with today's various streaming options. Then the focus will move to how we consume music on the road, starting with when it was so "cool" to have a push-button AM radio in the car. I'll also focus on utilizing your existing Compact Disc collection now that new cars no longer have a CD player and streaming from an online service, using Bluetooth, flash drives, smartphones, and more.
This is a presentation I'm constantly updating, so there is always something new to present.

AirTags and Tiles
Don’t leave home on vacation without AirTags or Tiles. They are indispensable for luggage tracking; countless people have already recovered lost luggage using these inexpensive tracking devices. This presentation also includes free apps to detect all nearby Bluetooth devices. This is a good defense for finding any Tile or AirTag hidden in a purse, backpack, or car without the owner's knowledge.

Amazon Prime Days s - July 11 & 12
Apple AirTags @ Amazon -$10 - https://tinyurl.com/3pan5us6
Tiles - https://tinyurl.com/5yt3ysu6

General Discussion / Pizza Party Photos
« Last post by rsutter on July 02, 2023, 06:00:36 PM »
Hello All,
07/02/2023
I uploaded some photos of the SLO Bytes Pizza Party at Blaze Pizza to the SLO Bytes web site.  See https://www.slobytes.org/digital/2023pizza/index.html
Ralph Sutter
Hello All,
I received this link today from Judy Taylour of APCUG.  It is a link to the California State Digital Equity Plan:  Public Survey.
Ralph Sutter

https://broadbandforall.civilspace.io/en/projects/california-department-of-technology-broadband-digital-equity-survey/engagements/california-state-digital-equity-plan-public-survey-10-15-minutes/sections/1
ChatGPT set the bar for AI chatbots and now competitors are trying their best to beat it.

https://www.zdnet.com/article/these-two-ai-chatbots-claim-to-be-better-than-chatgpt-heres-what-they-are/
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10