Author Topic: VGA to HDMI Adapter - Not Bi-Directional  (Read 2868 times)

rsutter

• Administrator
  • I cut the board twice and it's still too short.
    • View Profile
VGA to HDMI Adapter - Not Bi-Directional
« on: July 23, 2018, 04:51:02 PM »
Hello All,
SLO Bytes recently replaced its 11 year old data projector with a newer model after the first machine stopped working.  The new projector, Optoma HD143X 1080p 3000 Lumens has many impressive features but only offers HDMI inputs.  Wanting the option to connect older computers with only a VGA output, I connected an HDMI to VGA converter but this displayed no image.  Since I had other HDMI to VGA adapters, I tried them all to no avail.  I then discovered that the adapters are not bi-directional.  If I wanted to connect a VGA output to an HDMI input, I could not use an HDMI to VGA dongle.  I needed the opposite configuration.
Here is a link that confirms that these devices only work in one direction.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01JRXHWQA/ref=sspa_dk_hqp_detail_aax_0?psc=1

I ended up purchasing another device,
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00IDFGK1W/ref=od_aui_detailpages00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
It has a USB to audio input in addition to the VGA to HDMI conversion.  It should send audio from the USB connection to the HDMI output.
Once that I receive and test this device, I'll confirm or modify this posting.
Ralph Sutter
« Last Edit: July 23, 2018, 04:52:46 PM by rsutter »

rsutter

• Administrator
  • I cut the board twice and it's still too short.
    • View Profile
Re: VGA to HDMI Adapter - Not Bi-Directional
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2018, 06:35:59 PM »
Hello Again,
I received the VGA to HDMI adapter today and plugged it in to my HP 640 Pro laptop's VGA port.  I also plugged the USB cable in to that computer.  I then plugged the device into the projector.  It worked delivering both video and audio over the HDMI cable to the Optima data projector.
Ralph Sutter