Author Topic: Windows 10 Update to 1809 - Not Offered to Me through Windows Updates  (Read 6753 times)

rsutter

• Administrator
  • I cut the board twice and it's still too short.
    • View Profile
Hello All,
I have several computers running Windows 10 Professional. I have automatic updates enabled and check for updates regularly.
I am running 1803 version KB 4023057.  I have not been offered 1809.
I believe that I can manually download and install updates from the Windows Update Catalog at http://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Search.aspx?q=windows%2010%20version%201809
Questions:  If this is correct, can I just download the latest version of 1809 or do I have to download and install all of the earlier 1809 versions sequentially instead of skipping all but the latest one?
or
Should I wait for Microsoft to offer 1809 to me through automatic updates?

Please advise.
Thanks,
Ralph Sutter

Doug

• View Profile
Re: Windows 10 Update to 1809 - Not Offered to Me through Windows Updates
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2018, 12:19:13 AM »
Ralph,

To manually check for the latest update, select the Start button, then select Settings > Update & security > Windows Update , and then select Check for updates. See what is offered. If 1809 is offered then you might conclude that it includes the necessary previously offered components and hopefully has had the defective coding removed or corrected. If 1809 is not offered, Microsoft has probably still put it on hold for the time being. I wouldn't download any of the previous offers of 1809 updates in view of their imperfections.

Could you possibly have reset your options to obtain your permission before downloading and installing? The recent difficulties with 1809 being a good reason to be sure that you are willing to risk possible malfunction(s). I truly do not actually know why you haven't been updated if your settings allow for it to occur automatically. Back in October, the updating was halted altogether due to the glitch situation.  It could well be that Microsoft's modus operandi delays updating WIN10 professional until it has satisfactorily tested itself on the home versions, or performed and evaluated a limited number of test trial updates. Only MS knows for sure and might not be willing to share the information.

MS has a rollout scheme that delays updates if issues are detected after some trial updates have taken place. They might just be doing you a favor. Perhaps it is best to be safe rather than sorry.

I feel a bit silly giving you advice about technical matters but unless you just have to have the latest 1809 update, it might make sense to just let it ride until the glitches are ironed out.

Doug

Incidentally, I just checked my HP WIN10 and discovered that I am up to date and the update number is 1803, same as yours. I am willing to bet that 1809 is still on hold for most WIN10 users. That being the case, waiting for MS to get around to perfecting it makes sense. A working 1803 is better than a malfunctioning 1809.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2018, 12:46:21 AM by Doug »

Doug

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2018, 12:35:01 AM »
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4464619/windows-10-update-history

https://blogs.windows.com/windowsexperience/2018/11/13/resuming-the-rollout-of-the-windows-10-october-2018-update/

Microsoft's advice:  "On November 13, 2018, we will begin the re-release of the Windows 10 October Update (version 1809), Windows Server 2019, and Windows Server, version 1809. We encourage you to wait until the feature update is offered to your device automatically." It appears that at this time the manual update option is restricted to "advanced users only".

Microsoft statement:" We will offer the October Update to users via Windows Update when data shows your device is ready and you will have a great experience. If we detect that your device may have an issue, such as an application incompatibility, we will not install the update until that issue is resolved, even if you “Check for updates,” so you avoid encountering any known problems. For those advanced users seeking to install the update early by manually using “Check for updates” in settings, know that we are slowly throttling up this availability, while we carefully monitor data and feedback".
« Last Edit: December 11, 2018, 12:52:23 AM by Doug »

rsutter

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2018, 08:55:57 AM »
Hi Doug,
Thanks for your response.  I manually check for updates several times a week.  Version 1809 has never been offered to me in this scenario.  Often, my first check assures me that everything is up to date.  I immediately check again.  Often, this finds an update for Windows Defender.  It usually installs without incident.

Yesterday, I downloaded the 1809 update from the Windows Update Catalog, windows10.0-kb4469342-x64_7290815610ac4c3d657eb5ed6e4e92421fa8c29a.msu
Several distros are available depending on your processor.  Since I have an Intel Core i7-8700 CPU@ 3.19GHz, I opted for the 2018-11 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1809
for x64-based Systems (KB4469342
) last updated on 12/04/2018
When I tried to install it, I got the following message The update is not applicable on your computer

This is speculation but I'm guessing that my computer has a combination of software and components whose compatibility for the current update, Microsoft has not yet resolved.
My plan is to continue to check for updates and update when 1809 is offered through the normal process.

Ralph Sutter
« Last Edit: December 11, 2018, 08:57:51 AM by rsutter »

Doug

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2018, 07:38:25 PM »
Ralph,
It appears that Microsoft is still ironing out the bugs big time and is perhaps limiting their update offers to persons who have volunteered to let them use their computers for testing purposes or specially designated "advanced users" who work with Microsoft to perfect their programming. I will be perfectly satisfied to patiently wait until this 1809 "upgrade" really amounts to one, without the serious flaws and malfunctions.  Doug

Doug

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2018, 07:21:06 PM »
Microsoft installed its latest Update for my HP WIN10 computer (see the attachment)....... Update 1803. Nuff said.

Alan J. Raul

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2018, 09:46:06 AM »
Some computers are "finally" getting the update. If you "seek" out the update you might get it.

If you want to manually update the computer download the current 18.09 Windows 10 ISO.

You can mount the ISO from within Windows 10 and then click the EXE to start the upgrade.

You can also extract the ISO and then run the EXE to start the upgrade.

Needless to say... HAVE A CURRENT BACKUP.

rsutter

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2018, 12:04:05 PM »
Hello All,
I was finally able to update my Lenovo X1 Yoga laptop to Windows 10 version 1809.
Since the normal channels failed to install the update, I followed the steps at
https://www.drivereasy.com/knowledge/fix-potential-windows-update-database-error-detected-in-windows-10/ 
That process reported that I had a corrupted data base.
I followed all of the steps outlined at the link above.  All suggestions failed until I reached Fix Five

Fix 5: Perform an in-place upgrade
     Performing an in-place upgrade may help resolve some troubles with the system. So maybe performing an in-place upgrade will fix this
     issue. Try downloading the Media Creation Tool and then follow the on-screen instructions to perform an in-place upgrade. Here is how to
     do it:

Click https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10  to visit the Microsoft official website for downloading Windows 10.
     Click Download tool now on the web page to download the Media Creation Tool.

The in-place upgrade didn't remove any of my installed programs or data as far as I can tell

Thanks to all who have offered suggestions for updating to Windows 10 version 1809

Ralph Sutter
« Last Edit: December 18, 2018, 12:08:09 PM by rsutter »

Doug

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2019, 07:43:10 PM »
Ralph,

To follow up on this thread, last night I searched for the current update and was offered 1809, which has subsequently been successfully installed without any as of yet apparent difficulties. I have attached a snip of the update history for my HP Omen Desktop WIN10 machine. I will now follow suit with the Dell WIN10 Desktop.

Doug

>> No luck with the Dell yet. It's still at 1803.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2019, 10:47:59 PM by Doug »

rsutter

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2019, 08:30:05 AM »
Hello All,
My Dell 8930 desktop is still running 1803.
I followed the same steps that I used earlier to successfully update my Lenovo laptop.  However, when I downloaded and attempted to install 1809 manually, I got a message that the update wasn't the right one for my machine.  This happened twice.  The Dell 8930 is running Windows 10 Professional 64 bit.  On both occasions, I downloaded  2018-11 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1809 for x64-based Systems (KB4469342)

If this isn't the appropriate file for this computer, which one is?
I can only conclude that the 1809 update is still flawed.

Ralph Sutter