Author Topic: Integrated Camera Driver Update for Sunplus Breaks Facial Recognition on Yoga X1  (Read 2292 times)

rsutter

• Administrator
  • I cut the board twice and it's still too short.
    • View Profile
Hello All,
I recently purchased a Lenovo Yoga X1 2 in 1 laptop.  Lenovo includes Vantage, their utility for maintaining the machine up to date.  It integrated with Windows Update, adding additional updates specific to my computer.
I used it to successfully update computer firmware, perform driver updates as well as normal Windows 10 updates.
Earlier this week, I installed all of the recommended updates.  Lenovo also offered one optional update
Integrated Camera Driver for Sunplus (Windows 10 Build 1709 and later -10)[64]
Eager to have the latest and greatest for my new laptop, I installed the camera driver.  Mistake....

When the computer rebooted, facial recognition had disappeared from the login screen.  I tried to roll back the driver but to no avail.  I scoured the Internet, looking for solutions.  Finding none, I tried System Restore.  For the umpteenth time in a row,
that gambit failed.  A window appeared announcing that failure and suggesting that the failure might have been due to a conflict with anti-virus software.  Having seen that screen previously, I had disabled Windows 10's native firewall, Defender, prior to attempting a System Restore.  I fail to understand this failure since Microsoft wrote the software for both System Restore and Defender.

I moved to Plan B, restoring my C drive from a recent Acronis True Image backup.  That worked.  I regained facial recognition at login.  Basking in glory, I tried to open my Data partition.  To my surprise, it had been encrypted with BitLocker.  I needed to enter the BitLocker Drive Encryption Recovery Key. Since I had not deliberately encrypted any drive, I had no such recovery key.

Again using Acronis True Image, I successfully restored my Data Drive - un-encrypted.  Next, I consciously enabled BitLocker encryption of both drives, saved the encryption codes digitally on several removable devices and printed them out in hard copy.

Lesson Learned:  Think twice before installing the next optional update.
PS:  For those who opine "If it ain't broken, don't fix it" how useful is that mindset?  Do you pass on updating your anti-virus software because you don't have any known viruses?  I hope not.

Ralph Sutter
« Last Edit: June 21, 2018, 08:31:41 AM by rsutter »